Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hanging With The Boys

Vero Beach Spring Football Game 
 
WT Dwyer- A Very Good Football team 
 
Lots of College Scouts
 
 
Had great time hanging with the boys tonight as we watched the Vero Beach vs Dwyer football game.  Coach Wilson (Jr & Sr) Tony Perry, Chris Jefferson, Charles Washington and Kendrick Washington all sat in the visitor's stands and watched as Dwyer beat up Vero Beach (VB) pretty good.  The camaraderie among the coaches was exactly what I needed at this point.  We all laughed and joked most of the night as usual. All these guys are very good friends.  I now realize that we are in this boat together, and we all will keep busy by watching some great football games around the area and state. 
 
I sort of knew VB was in a little trouble earlier in the week because their starting QB Dalton Stokes was not going to play because of being banged up.  I don't care how much a team prepares, losing a starting QB throws EVERYTHING out of whack.  Timing routes are affected, field position is affected, even the change of QB cadence can throw things off.  Vero Beach is a very good football team.....but Dwyer is one of the best teams in the state...if not the country, year after year.  Dwyer had some GREAT athletes at every position, and their depth showed early.  Of course, the college scouts were lined up on the visitor's sidelines watching the talent intensely.  Vero's sideline was no different.  Scouts were everywhere in the stadium. 
 
I am going to continue offering some small reviews of the teams I looked at this Spring.  My final team rankings will come out on Sunday.  Again, I may be way off on these reviews and rankings, but I can only go on what I viewed with my own eyes....at different points in the spring. 
 
 
Port St. Lucie High School
 
Coach Hillary Poole is doing a great job with this team.  I understand they moved one of their best athletes to the QB position after the graduation of last year's starter....which is a great move.  The offense will not have to be changed much, so they move on.    It does not look like this team has missed a beat from last year.  They have a nice offensive line, and their skill kids are pretty good as well.  The defense looks to be pretty athletic.  I am anxious to see how this team does in the regular season. 
 
Martin County High School 
 
Coach Chuck Kenyon has a good football team here.  He is returning some good looking players on both sides of the ball.  It is my understanding they changed Offensive Coordinators this year, and they are installing a new offense.  As mature as this team looks, I don't think it will be any problem for them.  I think they will spread it out a little more to take advantage of their skill kids, so they will not look like the Martin County we all knew.  This team will contend for the district title with Melbourne. 
 
Palm Bay Bayside
 
I just don't understand it.  Bayside, Palm Bay, and Heritage all share athletes, but each team always have great kids.  How is this possible?  This team is talented....maybe not as much as the other two schools, but talented nevertheless.  I can't believe the size of their offensive and defensive lines.  This team is trying to advance to the next level...they proved this by playing Byrnes (South Carolina) High School last year.  They are going to surprise some people in their district. 
 
 
Centennial High School
 
Centennial has some good size and good athletes on both sides of the ball.  I was only able to spend a short time with this team before the rains came down in buckets.  I saw some nice looking big kids (normal for Centennial) and there were a lot of kids with low practice numbers....which means they have a lot of skill kids as well.  This is a big 8A school, and they are also in a four team district with VB, Ft. Pierce Central, and Treasure Coast. It is going to be a fun-to-watch shootout between these four teams. 
 
Melbourne Bulldogs
 
Again, I don't understand where Brevard County gets all these athletes.  WEST MELBOURNE and GREEN MELBOURNE each supply athletes to Brevard County's oldest school.  We (SRHS) played this team last year and lost 3-0 in a tight game.  I was told that Mel-High returns most of their team from last year....and it shows.  These kids had another year in the weight room and they seem to be thick.  Powerful backfield along with athletic linemen on both sides of the ball.  Defensive backfield may be a concern however.  Mel-High will fight Martin County for the district title this year.  I give the edge to the green team. 
 
Treasure Coast High School
 
Coach Irvin Jones is a lucky man.  Athletes, athletes everywhere once again.  I am always amazed on how deep these 8A teams are with their depth chart.  This team is strong across the board.  I am not real impressed with the physical size of this team, but they are not small to say the least.  I think the strength of this team is the defense, and they were flying around pretty good.  It is going to be a real dogfight between the four teams in their district.   Mark down TC vs VB on the calendar. 
 
Well, that is it for the night.  I now have four teams to review.  Truthfully, these are also the four best teams I saw all spring.  Please hit me up tomorrow .
 
OH, Coach Perry and I will be travelling to Lawnwood tomorrow to see Ft. Pierce Central vs Glades Central....another great game which could determine my final team rankings for the spring. 
 
GZ 
 
 
 

 
 
 




1 comment:

  1. Hey man, nice blog, I actually find this more interesting than the last one, I prefer a "state view" of things to the Sebastian only focus,I think you may have unknowingly found your post coaching calling, if you planned it or not.

    Funny thing is, I remember Troy Aikman saying similar things when he was forced to retire due to his concussions, but he has morphed into one of the better broadcasters out there.

    Side note: Centennial and TC's district now includes Vero AND FPC (they moved up to 8A, probably for the better, 7A has much more skilled, and overall competitive teams)

    I'll be reading, nice black socks by the way, did they come with your cowrective shoes?

    ReplyDelete