Friday, May 24, 2013

ATHLETES EVERYWHERE!

Ft Pierce Central is HUGE
 
The Rich get MUCH Richer
 
University of Georgia Recruiter Licking his Chops
 
 Look at the size of these kids getting taped 
 
 
Tonight Coach Perry and I went down to Lawnwood Stadium in Ft. Pierce to watch the game between Ft. Pierce Central (FPC) and Glades Central.....two perennial football powerhouses.  These two teams matched up very well, and both teams had tremendous athletes on both sides of the ball.  It was a great game which FPC eventually won 27-9.  The two heavyweight  programs went blow for blow during the first half.  Both defenses were flying to the ball.  Eventually, FPC huge offensive line took control in the second half, and they were able to put together a couple of nice drives to finish the game.  Glades Cental (a much smaller school) will be very tough in their classification.  They went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the state tonight.  It was really fun to watch this game and joke around with Perry.  I also ran into Coach Pete DeLuke and Coach Harris of Vero Beach down there watching their district opponent FPC.  They were kind of quiet....and I understand.  Vero has their hands full for sure. 
 
 I stated in an earlier blog that I had the chance to watch FPC practice early in the spring.  Frankly, I was not too impressed by what I saw.  I mean, they looked good, but I did not see the world beaters they had become in the past.  Looking back, I don't think I saw the entire team at practice that day.  I was sort of taken back when I first arrived at the stadium.  FPC is very big and athletic.  With their Gold and Purple uniforms, they look like LSU from afar.....and just about as big.  They are going to be a real handful for any team they face this year. 
 
I am going to finish reviewing the remaining teams on the "Coach George Spring Tour" tonight....in no particular order.  Actually, these teams are all very well matched, and they all will finish 1-4 in my final team rankings.  I want to evaluate the spring games and announce the final results on Sunday night....and I will probably piss a few people off when I do. 
 
 
Palm Bay High School
 
Coach Dan Burke has a very good team again this year....as always.  Year after year they have a tremendous influx of quality athletes to reload with.  Burke is not going to do anything fancy, but they will drive the ball down your throat with a great running game and passing the ball when they need to.  Palm Bay's defense is not going to out-scheme anybody; however, they will kick your ass with physical play.  Unfortunately, they are now forced to share athletes with Bayside and Heritage...which may be a good thing for everyone else, because if this juggernaut was left unchecked, they would be almost unbeatable.   
 
Palm Bay Heritage
 
I sort of hate this team.  This is the team that kicked the crap out of us (SRHS) last year during the playoffs.  I never studied and prepared so hard in my life; yet Heritage still just dominated us.  I don't believe things are much different with this team this year.  I watched this team in week 2 of spring practice, and I came away saying: "Wow"   I stated this teams seems to have a James Clark or a Javonte King at every position.  Heritage is not that big, but they are very, very athletic across the board.  (Coach Bethel once told me that the University of Miami built their teams with fast and physical athletes in the National Championship years)  I am going to watch Palm Bay and Heritage play this year for sure.  It is going to be a real dog fight. 
 
Vero Beach Fighting Indians 
 
I spent so many years hating Vero Beach (VB) that it seemed weird going down there to watch them practice.  Coach Lenny, Coach Teddy, Coach Deluke, and Coach Kris have all been so cool about me hanging around.  Actually, I should be thanking them....because they did not have to welcome me so warmly.  VB is loaded...plain and simple.  Don't let the VB-Dwyer game result fool you, this team will adjust and be just fine.  Deluke is trying to find his offensive line,  and Coach Kris is trying to find the right combination for the defensive backs.  Rest assured, these guys are great coaches, so it will get done.  Prediction:  VB will battle FPC for the district title.  Don't count out the RED team. 
 
Ft Pierce Central Cobras 
 
What can I say about this team?  Athletes and Size everywhere.  They seem to move the ball pretty well even against the great defense like Glades Central.  The QB is going to surprise a lot of people with his play-action ability like he did tonight.  The QB also has a good arm and is able to make some nice throws to his receivers across the field.  I would not try to run east and west against this team, because the defense will flat run you down.  The only weakness I saw was in the secondary..... which looks young.  A good off-season 7 on 7 will help with that.  This team will fight with VB for the district title. 
 
Well, that's it for tonight.  Again, I will evaluate all 15 of these teams and offer a final ranking on Sunday night.  I am sure it will piss some folks off, but it is what it is.   
 
GZ  

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment