Saturday, November 30, 2013

Reflecting On A Long Season

I am sorry I have not posted in awhile.  This whole deal with my Dad dieing kind of took my energy away.  This has been an extremely long month .  However, all the time spent in the hospital, and on the road driving, gave me a lot of time to reflect on this past year.  The whole year was full of coincidences I still can't explain....maybe God does have a plan for me after all. 

 
For me, the whole year started last year about this time.  I got a phone call from Randy Bethel informing me that he had been let go by Sebastian River High School (SRHS) shortly after we posted am 8-3 record and won the district championship.  The dismissal made no sense whatsoever, but that is water under the bridge and I am not going to discuss it again right now.  However, I knew my life was about to change.  I knew I was not going to coach this year, and I consoled myself knowing I was going to spend the year with my dad, and I also knew I was going to see the babies quite a bit  this year.  Also, I planned to watch a lot more high school football this past year...which is a good thing. 
 
Spent Time with Kelsey, Kirby and Grice This Year

 
I turned down several early job offers this year stating I was going to spend time with my Pops. I never really considered coaching this season, but I still went into a deep depression during this time.  I just did not know what to do with my idle time at home.  Apparently my Facebook postings concerned some of my closest friends...and I apologize for that. Luckily some great high school friends came to my rescue and pulled me through when I needed it the most.  My fight continues, but at least I have a grip on it now, and I was ready to deal with my Dad's death recently. As a man, it is difficult talking (to anyone) about depression, because most people who knew me tried to blow it off by saying "Don't Be So Dramatic" or "Go To The Doctor"  or  "Start Coaching Then!" Anyone who has fought with Depression knows it is just not that easy.  I would argue that most depressed people don't even realize what is happening to themselves. I just knew I was in a  very dark place with no windows.  My life long friends knew I was in trouble and checked up on me constantly.  GO SPARTANS 
 
My oldest friend, Jan Neufelder kicked me in the ass and woke me up earlier this year.  I have known Jan for about 50 years now, and he knows me like no one else does.  Jan KNEW what was happening with me for some reason....and I can't explain that either.  I took our friendship for granted, and sort of dropped him from my radar.  I am deeply sorry for that.  When my chips were down, Jan stayed with me, grabbed my collar, and helped me out of the deep dark hole I was in.  I am forever indebted. 
 
Big Bull Dolphin Jan Neufelder Painted For Me.  Jan is a very talented artist, and his paintings are amazing to see.  Go visit his Gallery on Facebook  and see for yourself. 
 
========================================================
This blog was supposed to be about football, so lets get started. 
 
I promised Mason Wilborn, and Zach Finnegan I would go and watch them (SRHS)  play at least once this season.  The week following my dad's death, I watched them play against Palm Bay Heritage....well, at least I watched Mason play.  Finnegan broke his foot a couple of weeks earlier.  SRHS was obviously out-matched from the start.  Heritage beat them pretty good.  I felt sorry for the kids, but they kept fighting all game long.  I could see the relief on their face as they left the field....I know it has been a long year for most of them.  Looking back on it now, I think our old staff would have been competitive in their district.  Patrick Bethel would have stayed, and both Washington boys (Tyler and Terrell) probably would have stayed at SRHS as well.  With the coaching staff in place, the learning curve would have been negated.  We would have lost to Vero, FPC, and Heritage, but I think the other games were winnable.  I don't think a 7-3 or a 6-4 record would have been out of the question.  Oh well, the kids played their hearts out, and that is what counts. 
 
Mason Wilborn
Zach Finnegan 
 
I spent a lot of time with Vero Beach High School (VBHS) this season.  Their team was amazing this year, and it was fun watching all their athletes develop.  Randy Bethel's boy Patrick was especially fun to watch.  The young 10th grader was a dominate player even at his age, and he kept getting better and better the whole season....while being blocked by the biggest and best players in the state all year long.  Patrick is going to be better than his Daddy, and probably one of the best players ever to come out of VBHS.                           
Patrick Bethel 
 
Last night I watched Fort Pierce Central (FPC) get knocked out of the playoffs.  They were beaten 17-6 by a decent Tampa Plant team.  Last week, I watched FPC put away an overrated Manatee team from across the state.  All three teams were well matched, but the cream rises to the top at this point of the playoffs.  In my opinion, the 8A classification in Florida is not as strong as the 7A or even 6A classification this year.  None of the teams (I have seen) seem to be as dominate as they usually are.  FPC had a great year, and they should be proud of what they accomplished.   
 
Ft. Pierce Central  Cobras
 
Who is the best team I saw this year?  Truthfully? 
 
 
Duncan (SC) Byrnes High School 
 
Far and away the best team I saw this season.  This program just keeps reloading year after year.  The Rebels can spread it out, or they  can run the ball...choose your poison.  I saw them play a district game this season. They will play for their 10th State Championship next week in Columbia, SC. 
 
Well, I guess this blog entry will just about do it for this season.  The whole football year took many twists and turns I was not expecting obviously.  However, when I look back on it, everything fit nicely into place...and I still don't know why.  Now that the playoffs are about finished,  I am about ready to start looking for a coaching job next season.  My batteries are charged back up, and I am planning to attend several coaching clinics over the next few months.  Florida?  Tennessee?  Kentucky?  South Carolina?  I would like to get closer to home or get closer to the kids for sure. My grandson Grice is going to be a beast, and I would sure like to coach him.  I don't know, but I am ready to move on and start something new. 
 
Until next time! 
 
GZ
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment