Saturday, October 19, 2013

Deciding Grice's Future

 
Grice...Age 16 Months

Funny thing about a Grandson.  Just when you think that your best coaching days are behind you, your daughter gives you a big ole Grandson  (with huge hands) to start changing your mind.  Grice (age 16 months) has a pretty good football pedigree, and he has decent breeding between his parents.  His Daddy (Joey) was our former QB at Sebastian River High School, and he played basketball as well.  Joey is probably 6'1" and 225lbs at this point...but he used to be built like my son Mike....tall and thin.  Kristin is built a little shorter to the ground, and built like the powerful athlete she used to be.  Grice has HUGE HANDS, and big feet which really gets me thinking....what can I make out of this un-molded piece of clay? 
 
Joey was a pretty good QB for us...he had a great, strong arm.  Joe's problem was he did not have the wheels to go along with his body.  Our offensive line struggled in the early days, so Joe was constantly running for his life back there.  When we did blocked for him, Joe was an accurate passer; Unfortunately, it's hard to throw with the defense in your face all the time.  If we had it to do all over again, Joe would have probably been a better tight end in his day. Unfortunately, he was also our best QB choice too....bad feet and all. 
 
I hated that son-of-a-bitch when he played for me (us)   He was always trying to date my daughter (Kristin)...and I used football as a way to keep that from happening....I THINK!  I remember Joey asking: "Coach, who is your daughter dating?"  I used to say: "NOT YOU"   I also remember during our team stretch periods, Joey asking me: "Coach, why is your daughter always dating those sissy boys?"   I used to say: "Keeps her from dating YOU!"  I think I had a pretty good grasp of Kristin's dating habits...but I knew Joey was after her.  I was relieved when she went off the college. 
 
Kristin actually went to college for five (5) years in NASHVILLE (at Vanderbilt) without dating Joey or seeing him much.  Then, I noticed her fuel bill getting higher and higher during her graduate year.  I noticed a lot of fuel being purchased heading towards Atlanta.  Atlanta?  Who the hell lives down there?  Yep.....you guessed it!  My asshole,slow footed ex-QB Joey lived in Atlanta.  The rest is history. Joey turned out to be a pretty good guy, and we became pretty close over the years.  He still has bad feet though. 
 
 
I don't think Grice will be a speed demon, but I have a feeling he is going to be powerful.  He has long arms and long legs to go along with the big hands.  I am thinking I may have a future tight-end or maybe a five technique defensive lineman.  Also, with the long arms, Grice may be a great center, or offensive tackle.  I will keep an eye on him. 
 
Grice may play the piano.....and that's OK too! 
 
Later,
 
GZ
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what he ends up doing. He already loves to carry around the football and throw it, too. His ball handling skills are pretty good for 16 months old :)

    ReplyDelete