Thursday, October 3, 2013

BACKYARD THROWDOWN


Vero Beach Fighting Indians 
 
VS
 
Ft. Pierce Central Cobras 
 
OK.  This is it.  This is the game I have been talking about since I started writing this latest blog.  This is an epic battle of the area's two powerhouse high-school football teams.  The Vero Beach Fighting Indians (VBHS) are traveling 20 miles down the coast to take on the Ft. Pierce Central Cobras (FPC)  Almost all of the former Sebastian River Football staff will be making the trip down to Lawnwood Stadium to watch what should be one of the marquee games of the year...at any level. 
 
VBHS & FPC are both undefeated at 4-0.  Both teams compete in the same district at the same 8A Level .  Both teams are state ranked.  Both teams run a version of the "spread" offense, and both teams are loaded with talent.  So, who do I think will win?  Lets have a look.  (in no particular order)
 

 

Vero Beach High School.  Our mother school.  When I coached at SRHS, I sort of had a love/hate relationship with the old school.  I hated playing VBHS because they were always so well coached and loaded with athletes.  I hated looking over at their sidelines and seeing 70-80 (mostly 11-12th)grade players while we struggled with 35-40 players of all grades.  I hated seeing their stands just packed full of cheering fans.  I hated hearing the Florida State war chant with the tomahawk chop.  I hated seeing the corporate sponsorship painted on their field. 

On the other hand:

I loved seeing my old coaching buddies on the VB sidelines.  I loved seeing many of my old players still hanging around the stadium.  I loved seeing some old acquaintances come up and greet me as we entered the stadium.  I loved warming up on the familiar well-manicured Citrus Bowl grass turf.  I loved the smell of the game-food being prepared all over the stadium.  I loved the special goose bumps on my arms as I heard the VB Band come to life.  I then knew we were about to go into a battle with big-brother.  Oh man, I am getting cold chills down my back as I write this blog. 

The VBHS team is loaded again this year.  They are probably not as deep on the Offensive Line as they have been, but Coach DeLuke's (a very good friend) boys have pulled it together.  The QB (Dalton Stokes) has matured into a pretty good team player.  Dalton does not seem to have a favorite receiver which is VERY GOOD.  Stokes will distribute the ball with accuracy to many weapons. I like this kid.  VBHS's defense is a real strong point for the team.  Coach Krystoforski's (I know I spelled that wrong....sorry Kris)  kids are experienced and FAST.  The addition of Patrick Bethel has given Vero some needed size on the defensive front, and the Horstman kid is a great athlete with good size.  Vero's corners are locked down, and the safeties rarely let anyone get behind them.  The Kicking game?  Forget about it!!  This kid can flat-out kick and is becoming Mr. Automatic on both field goals and PAT's.  Such a weapon to have!! 

 
Ft. Pierce Central Cobras
 
Believe it or not, we used to love playing FPC.  It did not matter where they were ranked, or what kind of team FPC had that year, we always matched up well with them for some reason.  I mentioned in an earlier blog that FPC has not always been the great team they are now.  In the earlier days, we used to whip them every year.  They have always been very big, and they always had great size.  I remember gazing to their sidelines and being amazed by the athletes they had.  Unfortunately. FPC was splitting athletes with Ft. Pierce Westwood, and it did hurt them somewhat.  Since then, school boundaries have changed, school rankings have changed, and FPC was blessed with an influx of additional talent.  Since then, Coach Shaffer came in and took the football program to a different level. 
 
FPC is blessed with tremendous talent again this year.  They run a "pistol set" spread offense led by Senior QB Sam Vaughn.  This kid is a great team leader, and he never seems to panic.  The skill positions with FPC are deep as usual, with tall receivers with good speed.  They run the ball with authority behind a big offensive line anchored by a 6'6" (10th grade) left tackle.  FPC can score from many different positions, so keying on any one offensive aspect would be a mistake.   The Defensive for FPC is fast...plain and simple.  The defensive line is good sized and really quick for their size.  Their linebackers are about as good as I have seen, and their corners are not afraid to play cover 1 (man to man) when asked to....tough kids.  If I have anything negative to say about FPC's defense, I would suggest that the safeties may be a little suspect.  I have seen them get beat deep a couple of times.  Also, I am not sold on their kicking game. 
 
So, who am I picking in this game?  This is a tough game to pick.  Both teams are so close.  The game could go either way really.  I asked Coach Wilson the same question today, and he said: "The last team with the ball will win!"  So, I guess even the coin toss becomes important.  Who wins the toss?  Do they defer to the second half?  Who wants the ball first?  This will not be a defensive battle...believe that!  Both teams are going to score....and score a lot.  Who is going to win?  Here it is: 
 
VB:    31
FPC:   28 
 
The kicking game is the difference. 
 
Check with you Tomorrow. 
 
GZ
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment