Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sleeping With The Enemy

 


Vero Beach vs Sebastian 
 
Phone Rings:  
Me:  "Hey Man" 
Pete:  "Hey, Whats Up?" 
Me:  " Just wanted you to know I hate you this week" 
Pete:  "Oh, OK.  I hate you too" 
Me:  "I will call you after the game" 
Pete:  "OK, Later" 
 
I think I have started Rivalry Week the same way since Pete Deluke joined the Vero Beach coaching staff.  I generally called him after our game on Friday night, and this officially began "Rivalry Week for me.  Do I really hate Pete Deluke?  Of course not, but it was part of the tradition of the VB vs SR rivalry for me. 
 
Truth is that my career was BORN in Vero Beach some 27 years ago.  I came up through the program coaching with the recreation department, junior high school, and later at the high school.  It was an honor to work with / for Billy Livings and listen to his stories about the early years.  The Citrus Bowl was a fantastic place to view and participate in a high school football game.  It was (and still is really) old school football at its best.  The community LOVES this team, and their full stands certainly show it.  In fact, most of our old staff at SRHS also came from Vero Beach.  Coach Bethel, Coach Wilson, Coach Perry, either played or coached at the school....which made it imperative that we beat them......on the field. 
 
Does Hulk Hogan HATE Ric Flair? 
 
HATE is such a strong word.  Unfortunately, the word is used all-to-often to describe different situations.  Some people confuse the term "Hate" for the term "Competition"  in the sports world, and that is unfortunate.  Coaches will use about anything to motivate his players to play above-their-heads in a big rivalry game....including infusing a hatred for the opponent.  Do coaches really hate each other because they coach on the other team?  Of course not.....especially due to the fact he may be working for that hated team next season.  Can't burn your bridges. 
 
Seriously, do you really think Hulk Hogan HATES Ric Flair as a person?  No, but they may dislike each other as a competitor....but don't confuse this with lack of respect.  Fact is they probably ate dinner and drank a beer together after the match above. 
Do the ARMY Cadets really HATE the Navy Midshipman? 
Does VANDERBILT REALLY hate Tennessee? 
 
Florida vs Louisville 
Louisville's head coach Charlie Strong coached at Florida for years.  He was one of the all time great defensive coordinators in Florida.  Finally, he got his chance to be a head coach at Louisville.  Last year, Florida met Louisville in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.  Charlie had his players UP and ready to play their big SEC Opponent.  I am sure Charlie used a little "They never gave me a chance" stuff in preparing his team.  I am sure the team HATED Florida for this game....they were going out to win this game for "Coach Strong" ....and they did!  Does Coach Strong really hate UF?  No, I am sure he still loves the program.  But, a coach has to do what a coach has to do.  

Does Notre Dame REALLY hate Michigan?......Maybe
 
 
Coaches rarely HATE another team or HATE a rival coach.  We may dislike a team during game week, or we may talk a little smack on another coach for affect, but coaches generally respect their opponent.  Why?  Because the opponent practices too.  The opponent trains just like we do.  The coaching fraternity is actually very small, so most coaches stick together because we all have similar interests and issues.  Actually HATING an opponent is left to the Fans who do not know better.  Fact is, I actually know more coaches at Vero Beach this year than I do at SRHS.  I have known Pete Deluke, Coach Kris, and Teddy Floyd for years.  How in the world am I going to hate them?  I want to see my friends succeed....wearing RED or not.  Don't ask me to hate Vero Beach just because we (at SRHS) worked to beat them year after year. 
 
During this week's game, I am going to sit with all the former coaches and support ALL our kids, because they wear BOTH Red and Blue.   
 
GZ
 
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment